Sunday, April 10, 2011

2/99: German Chocolate Ice Cream Cake with Coffee Ice Cream

This cake was made for Hope's Kitchen shower.  One of her favorite things in the world is ice cream so it seemed appropriate to make her the ice cream cake.  I chose a coffee ice cream filling as coffee is her flavor of choice =). It has a "chocolate snowball fudge sauce" that was so delicious on top of the cake. 



I ran into a few issues while making the cake but it ended up great. 


This cake works great with an ice cream filling because it has no butter in it so it freezes really well.  The issue is that I was not careful enough doing the prep for it. You have to mix boiling water with the chocolate but I don't think the water was hot enough so it got a little clumpy.  Then i got a little impatient waiting for the chocolate mixture to cool (you're supposed to wait 30 minutes) so i put it in the fridge for a little while. That's my second mishap- it got too cold.  By the end it worked out fine. I was nervous because I had to beat it extra to compensate for the temperature so I thought I was going to over-beat the eggs. Turns out it wasn't that big of a deal. Everyone enjoyed the cake and the whole thing was gone by the end of the party. 


Rose's Heavenly Cakes

Cake: German Chocolate Cake, page 137
Filling, fudge, and composing the cake, page 142

1 comment:

  1. Oh, yes, this one was a definite winner! I love how you did the frosting.

    ReplyDelete