Sunday, August 21, 2011

38/99: Almond Shamah Chiffon

The Almond Shamah Chiffon was the final cake of the Lacey's 30th birthday cake extravaganza.





 "Shamah" in the title actually stands for one of Rose's friends, David Shamah.  A bunch of people at the party were curious and therefore looked up the word "shamah" in a translator.  They came up with something and then proceeded to discuss why the cake would be called this.  Sadly, I don't remember the word that they found but, if you were one of those people, I must inform you that you were wrong.  Sorry about that friends.


Star ingredients: EIGHT eggs, almonds (made into almond flour), and Amaretto di Saronno.

This is another one of those cakes that I was making along with 2 others.  Therefore the pictures are still all out of order.  I'm still convinced that I could pick random ones and make up some wonderful tale about how I made the cake but I think my friends in the HCB would figure it out.  So here's the recap:

The cake is an almond sponge cake that is infused with an amaretto syrup.  To make the almond flavor, you make the almond flour by combining toasted almonds and wondra flour in a food processor.  It's really easy and delicious.

Then for the Amaretto syrup.  I'm still convinced that these recipes for syrup in the sponge cakes yield way more than you actually need.  Maybe I am just scared to drench my cake with a syrup that has more water than alcohol in it though....

Then for the icing: "Raspberry Jam Whipped Cream." That part was delicious. I licked the bowl. The icing is super easy in that it consists completely of heavy cream and seedless raspberry jam.  That's all. It's amazing.

So the result: really great. I really, really enjoyed this one.   I think in the minds of others it got overshadowed though.  The lemon and the peppermint and the dark chocolate and the tiramisu just didn't leave a spot for the poor little almond cake.  I think it got second place though.   I think if i made it again, people would like it on it's own.

Here's the final show:



Rose's Heavenly Cakes
almond shamah chiffon- page 199




No comments:

Post a Comment