Saturday, April 7, 2012

95/99: True Orange Génoise


I've actually been dreading this cake because orange cake is not exciting to me. But this one may surprise me- these cakes often do.

I've actually tried to make this cake twice before.  I bought the oranges about 2 weeks ago and never got around to it.  The oranges went bad and that was the end of that.  Then I tried this weekend but my plans of baking got interrupted by the trampoline. 

So now, I've finally completed this cake once and for all!


Morning prep:


I think I was annoyed by this cake because it had way too many steps for what I felt was necessary.  For instance, the recipe said to use Seville orange juice and if you didn't, then you had to fresh squeeze tons of regular oranges and then reduce the juice in the microwave:


Then grate the orange:


Then you make the curd with the reduced orange juice, egg yolks, butter, salt, and sugar:


And strain the curd into the orange zest:


ta-da: orange curd:


 Then the dark chocolate ganache avec triple sec:



Finally, once those things are done, its time to brush an orange syrup onto the cake:


Then add the curd:


And then you're done!

Tasting results will happen tomorrow!  Stay tuned!

Rose's Heavenly Cakes- page 179

No comments:

Post a Comment