Saturday, April 7, 2012

94/99: Chocolate Apricot Roll with Laquer Glaze


I am pumped about eating this one. Yum. 

The cake includes the actual cake (called the biscuit roulade), Lekvar, apricot syrup, apricot ganache filling, and lacquer glaze.  The apricot comes in from the apricot brandy that's used in almost everything as well as the dried apricots in the Lekvar.

But the lekvar was optional and the liquor store didn't carry apricot brandy. Basically, my chocolate apricot roll was not going to have any apricot in it.

I ended up figuring out an alternative route... hopefully it will still taste good.


Here's the morning prep station:



I started with the ganache filling because it had to sit for several hours before it thickened up:



Then I got to work on the cake. Here's where the double kitchen aids came to my resue.  The one on the left is mixing my egg yolks while the one on the right is doing the whites.  It's brilliant.


The yolk mixture after its been whipped:


The whites:


And the product of the two:


After it comes out of the oven, you have to roll it up and let it cool.  Yes, there is actually a cake in this dishtowel:


Then I laid it out.  This is when I was brilliant and still labeling all of my concoctions. 

 
First you spread the lekvar.  But as I mentioned, I don't have any lekvar.  So i substituted apricot preserves. I figured it couldn't hurt, right?


Then the ganache filling:


And roll it up!


 To finish it up, I threw the lacquer glaze on top and it was done!


I'm waiting till tomorrow to try them so wait on the tasting results till then!!

Rose's Heavenly Cakes-page 163


No comments:

Post a Comment