Sunday, September 25, 2011

51/99: Individual Pinaple Upside Down Cakes


 These little cakes weren't quite as pretty as I expected.  I wanted the pineapples to be full circles like Rose's pretty picture (Jenn from the Knitty Baker has one too) but my ramekins were a little too small. I had to cut pineapple pieces as you can see from the above photo.

I'm really glad that I'm in the Heavenly Bakers group because this recipe might be one that I would have put off for a long time. I have never been a huge fan of upside down cakes so this one did not peak my interest as much as some of the other cakes.


The most tedious part of the baby cakes was making the caramel to go in the bottom of each ramekin.  I think I messed up on this part because I have not been able to master candy/caramel making lately.  I blame it on the candy thermometer but it's probably just me. 

For example,  I tried to make cotton candy from scratch the other week and let's just say it wasn't a great success.  I think the sugar over heated once I took it off the stove so it was not as fluffy as desired.  Since I was still scarred from the over-heated cotton candy experience, I took this caramel off the stove way too soon.  It was turning amber too quickly and so I thought it was time.  As a result, it was way too fluid and didn't have the right viscosity.  The same problem happened with the caramel drizzle for the top.

The cake itself was delicious. It called for full fat yogurt and I had no idea how difficult it is to find full fat yogurt.  Every type of yogurt in the grocery store is non fat or fat free or low fat.  I stood in Walmart in front of the incredibly large yogurt selection for about 10 minutes trying to find one. Oh the dieting culture.... Sometimes it's good to have a little bit of fat.

There were really mixed reviews of the cake.  On of my friends really didn't like it but some of my other friends said that they really did.  We're just not accustomed to upside down cakes so I think it feels strange to have all that baked fruit on top. 


1 comment:

  1. Jane, I'm sorry you didn't like it. They looked really good though. I love the little cherry in the middle. And I agree it is really sad that it's hard to find full fat yogurt. It's so much tastier (and less sweet) than the non-fat variety!

    ReplyDelete