Saturday, September 17, 2011

48/99: Yellow Butter Cupcakes and 49/99: Chocolate Egg White Buttercream


Birthdays are the best. I think they are almost as good as Christmas time.  There's something so special about celebrating a life every year. And it's always fun to blow out some candles.

This weekend was a weekend of birthdays. We celebrated Stephens birthday and we decided to celebrate George's birthday even though it was a week ago. 

These cupcakes were really easy.  They have a ton of butter in them which always means they will be yummy.  They also call for sour cream but I used yogurt instead.  She says full fat yogurt is acceptable but I don't think they sell that at my grocery store.  I looked for awhile.  I guess it makes sense though; who would want to buy something that says "full-fat" on it.


For the icing, I made chocolate egg-white buttercream.  I am a HUGE fan of this icing.  It consists of lots and lots of butter, dark chocolate, eggs, sugar, and cream of tartar. It comes out pretty flat so I basically put double the amount of icing on each cupcake.  I had to make some more icing for the rest. So word to the wise- double this recipe if you're using it for cupcakes! 

In the end I put some chocolate shavings on top and they were ready to serve!

Everyone seemed to like them.  One of my friends said she wasn't really excited about the actual cupcake part so she didn't plan on eating it.  She ended up eating the whole thing. I think that's a good sign.

Other comments:

 "I loved them"

"The cake part kind of tastes like angel food cake"


Rose's Heavenly Cakes
-Chocolate egg white buttercream- page 302
- yellow butter cakes- page 295

2 comments:

  1. I echo your sentiments on birthdays. I love your cupcakes piled high with buttercream and candles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ב''ה

    Wow! so many cakes and they all look so fab! I wish I had the time you did! :)

    Your gateau breton especially came out beautify.

    ReplyDelete