Thursday, April 14, 2011

4/99: Chocolate Génoise with Peanut Butter Whipped Ganache

 

Sometimes it's just time to start over.

Tonight was one of those nights where it was definitely time to start over.  I started baking around 11 when I finally had some time.  But sometimes life happens when you don't expect it and it just throws everything off.  I don't mind my emotions getting a little out of wack but when it affects my baking then that is just not acceptable.


So in the midst of my distraction, I let some friends take over the cake. When I came back to check on it, this is what it had turned into:



Yeah, definitely time to start over. 


So at 1:30 I had the choice to go to bed or fix the mess in the kitchen.  Of course I chose to fix the mess. Who needs sleep when you have a bottle of wine, some dark chocolate, and a KitchenAid mixer waiting on you? So I got busy....



Around 3 AM, the cake finally came out of the oven.  It rose beautifully.  Génoise cakes are so delicate.  You can seriously feel the air and the texture when you get it out of the oven. I love it. 


So once the cake was ready, it was time to work on some chocolate frosting.  The recipe called for 60ish % chocolate but i had a variety of lots of different percents of chocolate... I added them all up and divided it and it turned out to be about 60%.  I think it may have been a little bit darker but who doesn't love some rich, dark chocolate?


In the icing is a nice mixture of chocolate, heavy cream, peanut butter, and some other things. Yum.  BUT before you ice the cake, you cover it with a raspberry syrup (made with chambourd liquor- YUMMM) So the delicious syrup sinks into the fluffy cake and then you smother it with goodness.





By the time I iced the cake it was an ungodly hour so I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it.  I topped it with some chocolate shavings and then put some chocolate chips on the sides.



I typically don't like cakes that are shorter than about 4 inches.  This cake is one layer which is not my favorite.  If it was about double the size I think I would like the look of it a lot more.
 

Bon appetit!

Rose's Heavenly Cakes
Chocolate Génoise with peanut butter whipped ganache-  page 184
Black Raspberry Syrup- page 185
Peanut Butter Whipped Ganache- page 186

2 comments:

  1. oops. hope and i screwed up the cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fantastic! Genoise and I do not get along. Those blasted flour balls get me every time or they never rise as high as Rose says.

    ReplyDelete