Friday, January 27, 2012

76/99: Fruitcake Wreath


Yeah, so the best part of the picture is the fruit. And by fruit I mean the kind that is not in the cake.

When I started with the fruit filling my dad walked in and asked what I was making.  I told him a fruit cake. This was his response (I wrote it down):

"You're making a fruitcake? That's not something someone your age would do...  That's something my grandmother would do. Oh, she was a teetotaler. She didn't drink a drop in her life but we all knew there was somethin' in that fruitcake.  When she died we found a big bottle of rum hidden behind a door.  I guess that's why she made so much fruitcake..."

Oh dad.



So this is my fruitcake. Mine didn't have quite as much alcohol in it as my great grandmother's apparently did but it was still good. 

I've never had a fruitcake before so I didn't really know what to expect.  It turned out fine for the most part and the fruit filling worked as desired.  Here's what it looked like inside:


I still can't decide what I think about the cake.  I like that it has FOUR cups of pecans and TWO cups of walnuts. The fruit part is not my favorite but it's  overshadowed by the nuts so its not that big of a deal in the cake.  I liked it for the most part- it was pretty moist and definitely unique.  It's probably not something that I would make again though because I would rather make other things.  My roommate Elise said that she thinks that it's good.. It's just not something that you'd want to eat a whole piece of.

Next cake: Pistachio cake! Now I'm back on track since I'm back in the swing of school and everything else!

Rose's Heavenly Cakes- page 79

No comments:

Post a Comment