Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Blueberry Pie


My roommate Katherine recently came home with the largest box of blueberries that I've ever seen from the farmer's market. We still had a box of blueberries in the refrigerator, so she said to use them up however we wanted to. Of course my mind immediately goes into action... cake, cobbler, pie?

The final decision was a nice summer blueberry pie.  I was going to go to the grocery store to pick up a Pillsbury pie crust for the sake of simplicity, but I am currently on a budget so I decided to open up the pantry and put in a few more minutes of work.  The Mississippi humidity is always a little intimidating when making pastry but I decided to give it a go nonetheless.

The result was fantastic.  I took it to my parent's house for father's day and the pie was gone within 15 minutes.  I had several people say it was the best blueberry pie they've ever had so I'm counting it as a success.



 I adapted the blueberry pie recipe from allrecipes.com. I read through the comments and took some suggestions here and there. I think that next time I make the pie, I will add a tablespoon of flour, but the juiciness of the filling also made it taste great.  If you're looking for a good blueberry pie recipe, give this one a test run! You won't be disappointed:

Pie Crust:

1 1/4 c flour
1/2 c butter, chilled and diced
1/4 c ice water
1/4 tsp. salt
  1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
  2. Roll dough out to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
Blueberry Pie:


1 cup white sugar
5 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt 
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
5 cups fresh blueberries
2 recipes of the pie crust
1 tablespoon butter
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  2. Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt, and cinnamon, and sprinkle over blueberries.
  3. Line pie dish with one pie crust. Pour berry mixture into the crust, and dot with butter. Cut remaining pastry into 1/2 - 3/4 inch wide strips, and make lattice top. Crimp and flute edges.
  4. Bake pie on lower shelf of oven for about 50 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. Looks awesome! I didn't get a taste on Sunday... I was planning to come back for some but it was gone by that time!! But I heard several people raving over it, so I guess it was a hit!

    ReplyDelete