Thursday, November 24, 2011

66/99: Sybil's Pecan Torte with Coffee Cream


Happy Thanksgiving!

I've been cooking up a storm getting ready for everyone to come over tonight for Thanksgiving dinner.  My part of the deal was to make dessert and sweet potato casserole.  Normally, sweet potato casserole doesn't take that long but when you have to peel and mash potatoes for 20+ people, it is quite the endeavor. 

But in the true spirit of Thanksgiving, here are two things that I am thankful for:



1. coffee. I tried to go without yesterday and I thought I was dying.  I almost called my doctor (my brother in law) but thankfully after one little sip of coffee, my world turned rosy again.
2. holidays. Lots of food and an excuse to blow the diet. Plus family and friends (i'm trying to stay away from the cliche answers but YES I am thankful for all of you)

This cake, of course, combined the two beautifully.

The pecan torte was a last minute decision since I was planning on making the Holiday Pinecone Cake. But, lo and behold, I started to make it last night and realized that the fondant had to be made 24 hours in advance and you have to cover the cake 6 hours before you eat it.  I didn't have that much time but I had lots of pecans so it was an easy switch.


The pecan torte has some espresso in it too which I adore.  So here's the espresso and sugar:



You mix that in with egg yolks, and pecans:


Then you add the meringue:


And it's ready to go:


 Then for the top there's an espresso cream. Is basically whipped cream, espresso powder, and gelatin to give it a little extra hold. yum.


This one turned out to be everyone's favorite! It was really light and airy but still had a distinct flavor.  One lady even asked for the recipe.  We still have some left so I will definitely be getting into that soon.

Happy Thanksgiving Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment