Sunday, November 20, 2011

65/99: Cradle Cake



Rose describes her cradle cake as "magical."  It was the winner of the Pillsbury bake off and I can definitely see why.  It's a really different cake but in a good way.

The cake is made with an egg yolk batter that is surrounded by a dacquoise.  A dacquoise, as Rose explains, is "a meringue with a touch of bitter chocolate and nuts that cradles the cake batter as it bakes." Yum.
I got really worried after I put all of the batter in the pan because I felt that the recipe yielded way too little batter.  The daquoise overwhelmed it. Check it out:



But, despite my worries, it actually turned out well.  Because I didn't use a silicone pan, I had a little trouble getting it out of the back but thankfully it came out in one piece. 

I think the cradle cake might actually be one of the better cakes in the book.  I'm even taking it home tomorrow to let my family have a go at it.  


Rose's Heavenly Cakes- page 60

No comments:

Post a Comment